Monday, March 1, 2010

DIY nursery tree art

I did this project when I was planning the nursery for my first born. I've been seeing a lot of tree projects lately so I thought I would share how I put this together in case anyone wanted to try it. It was sooo easy-peasy and way less expensive than buying this version that I totally copied from :)

All I did was buy white art canvases that were different sizes from a craft supply store. Then I arranged them how I thought would work (of course copying the Pottery Barn version) and then painted the tree with acrylic paint.
I used scraps of fabric I had leftover from another project to cut out the leaves and then glued them on. This would work even better with pretty craft paper as the leaves but I have so much scrap fabric.

Voila a total Pottery Barn copy-cat but for waaay less money! It's a little tricky to hang, but thankfully my hubby is very good at that sort of thing.

7 comments:

  1. How beautiful that turned out! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really took no talent at all though, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny , this does match the pillow I made! :) Your art looks gorgeous with the bedding. This is such a beautiful nursery!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out just fabulous! Love the colors you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess, I love how it turned out. It does seem like an easy project. I drew a large tree in my boys bedroom so I know that drawing a tree is not as hard as it seems. I like the idea of drawing them on different size canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is awesome. I love the colors. The bedding in the crib is perfect with it! I can't believe you did that yourself! It definitely looks professional! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your site this morning (early morning feeding, can't get back to sleep). Just yesterday I was looking for ideas for stretched canvas (btw- they're 40% off at Michael's through today and there's a 40% off coupon floating around- makes them dirt cheap and hard to refuse). Yes! Plus, I love sewing and love your buttercup bag modifications. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete